Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What to do with a piano...


...when you're refinishing a floor? My answer:

(aside from using it as a workbench)
Teeter it across the threshold like this.

It's funny, the moment I positioned the piano halfway in/out of the doorway, I thought to myself, "This would sure be a bad time to have an earthquake..."

The piano stayed like this overnight, as the urethane dried, and the next day, we had a 5.4 magnitude earthquake. I happened to be sanding the first coat of urethane on my hands and knees at the time, and stopped for a second with a disoriented feeling. My head was swaying back and forth, and I was thinking what a strange feeling the motion of sanding was giving me! It was that moment that Melinda walked into the den and said, "that's an earthquake!" I looked over at the piano, and it was swaying back and forth, much like my head. The entire thing lasted about 20 seconds, and the piano survived.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello.
My husband and I are in contract now for a 1915 bungalow in NJ. The deal might fall through, so I'm writing this cautiously, but it's been fun to dream of our bungalow while reading about yours. I'll definitely return to hear how your own renovations progress.

Best of luck!

Todd said...

Hi Iris!

My wife and I bid on 3 houses before we finally got ours. I completely understand the "cautious excitement" when buying a home! We were lucky that the one we got actually turned out to be the best of all. Just wait until you start renovating and improving-- it's a wonderful feeling!
Todd

marettesyndrome said...

Stumbled across your blog via "Our Tiny Oak Park Bungalow" looking for local resources for our 1926 Pasadena bungalow. Glad everyone and everything escaped the trembler unharmed! (Even though I've lived in California more than half of my life, this was the biggest I'd been through. Before this I kind of thought they were fun. Not anymore.)

Couldn't agree more about the differences in Westside versus NE LA, especially eye contact. When I moved from Venice to Mt. Washington years ago I couldn't believe both had Los Angeles addresses. SO different. Now in Pasadena it feels like a little bit of both (but much more humble than the westside).

Will have to check out Silverlake Salvage. We have Habitat for Humanity's "Re-store" in Pasadena, but I guess they are moving to Arcadia soon.