Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Today I was motivated to do something about my closet. Actually, I'd hardly call it a closet. More like a really really small room, with a rather inadequate wooden rod bowing (from the weight of the clothes) across the length of it. Pretty pathetic. But I have to say, it does have a window (people were SO SMART in the 1920's)!!
Here's the main dilemma: I haven't been able to find any decent looking craftsman or mission style closet rod/shelf supports. Does such a thing exist? Even if I knew what such a thing looked like, I could probably make it. But temporarily, I've installed a couple of Stanley® brand supports from Home Depot. And I have to say, they look like crap. Kind of like something you'd see in a cheap apartment that has all the beautiful hardware leftover from the 70's and 80's. If anyone knows of some alternative, please let me know!!! After installing the Home Depot Stanley® special, here's where things stand:
It's a lot better than what I had before, considering I can pile all of my crap on a shelf above my clothes, but I'd like to have something a little more 'period' looking. Since the ball is rolling with the whole organization thing, there's a little extra space left to add a shelf for shoes, on the left side of the closet. After a few hours of flying by the seat of my pants, I come up with a little shelving unit that I incorporated into the wood already present in the closet.
Unfortunately, the wall wasn't quite square, so I ran into a few issues that I'd rather not talk about. Let's just say that I probably should have finished the project a few hours before I actually did, because I was trying to figure out a way to make the shelving unit 'look' square, although it really wasn't. I finally ended up allowing the shelves to protrude beyond the face of the unit, and angling the front corners back toward the vertical sides. You'll see in the picture what I'm talking about.
It's not my best work, so I think I'll be painting the unit instead of staining it. This will (hopefully) hide some of the abnormalities. Here's the product, before painting. And hopefully I'll find some alternative to the ugly Stanley® brackets!!!!!

2 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

You may not be totally happy about it, but it must be so nice to have an organized closet!

bruno said...

Hello!
I'd like to invite you to check out Curbly.com - a DIY Design community for people who love where they live. We're establishing a passionate, creative user-base and drawing more and more traffic every day. We're trying to engage home-enthusiasts like you and provide a place where people can share ideas and get inspired. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Bruno Bornsztein
Co-founder, Curbly .com
www.curbly.com/bruno