Monday, January 29, 2007

Kitchen table made of old wood

I have some pretty exciting news. Two days ago, as part of my normal morning routine, I was browsing through the 'free' listings on craigslist.org. I came across a listing for free wood. The person had just finished a remodeling project, and was giving away wood that was left over. I assumed this meant a few 2x4's and plywood. Well I went over to see if any was left, and much to my excitement, there was a huge pile of old wood. Yes, OLD wood! The person had torn out much of the wood in their 1920's house, and I filled up my trailer with the stuff, all Douglas Fir. They probably didn't feel like going to the trouble of removing layers and layers of paint. I guess it's good news and bad news. I really hate to see people tear out original wood while 'remodeling', but I love it if they're going to give it away for free. I'm just thankful they didn't throw it in a dumpster and send it to its demise.
Since my house already has all the fir woodwork it can handle, and on closer inspection of the wood, it was weathered from being on their front porch, I decided to make a shabby chic style high-top kitchen table out of it. As you can see, our cat Teddy enjoys it as much as we do. The layers of paint on the wood turned out to be a great thing. After chiseling off various layers to expose hidden colors underneath, we ended up with a pretty cool looking centerpiece for our kitchen! Now we just need to find a couple of tall stools.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.